Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Lets try this again..


Having justified my emergency turn off by Groundskeeper Willie I was quite surprised by the deluge when I sawzalled the galvanized pipe just before the problematic valve.




I had already scheduled the "turn on" for after the valve replacement ( you can see the new valve with the hammer drill a couple posts ago) for the following Friday. The same middle-aged valve that let me down in the house, also was now letting me down on the city end of things. A deluge of water was disappearing into a mysterious place below my slab. Fortunately, after 20 minutes of pouring water, and kind conversations with Willie's partner in this business, we hit a sweet spot and the water stopped.




I will plumb the house with PEX - a plastic tubing. This will eliminate the galvanized pipe in the house - here is a cross-section of the half-century old plumbing. Check out the iron stalagtites.

4 comments:

Jenio said...

That looks remotely similar to those damn pharmaceutical ads regarding plax in all our arteries. LOL

buzzterrier said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
buzzterrier said...

So when you say:

"was disappearing into a mysterious place below my slab."

did you have a leak in the pipe? If so, how are you gong to replace it under the slab? More trench warfare? :-)

saved by biking said...

back in the 50's they only built on well drained ground - so all that water dissapeared into the water table - the pipe between the city valve and the new one I installed is still the galvanized. A mexican standoff, so to speak, to see which end of this 16 foot will fail. This will determine if utilty or homeowner pays for the replacement...